Saratoga CERT Meeting Minutes
2019-03-28 — minutes by Jeff Walker and Charles Rader
Meeting started at 17:32 by Brent Hailpern
- Michael Taylor introduced Crystal Bothelo, Deputy City Manager who is taking over Saratoga’s EM duties
- Michael Taylor might get a meeting or two between CERT leadership and Crystal to help pass the torch.
- The CERT AED is now in the trailer and will be looked after by the Saratoga staff. It is actually on the city’s prescription as well.
- Morris Jones has installed the Ham radio in the CERT trailer. VHF, UHF, solar panels, mag. mount antenna
- Next, Petersen Base needs a similar Ham radio setup.
- Jeff mentioned that the trailer needs to move 2 to 4 times a year or should be placed on blocks to not permanently damage the tires. Michael would like it out and present at things like the car show, preparedness fairs, etc.
Craig’s report on Logistics and FRS:
- Peter wrote a 2 page usage guide for the FRS radios
- Craig did a quick show-n-tell:
- Batteries (non-rechargeable Lithium is the best, don’t leave them in the radio)
- Power, volume, channel selection, privacy code, call tone, monitor, squelch, power high, …
- Someone suggested that the instructions make their way to the website
- Craig has given out over 20 FRS radios thus far. Need to be active with a DSW card to get a radio.
- Logistics report:
- Generators all tested about 3 weeks ago except for one of the larger CYB units.
- ½ of all the search and rescue supplies moved to Petersen from CYB
- Discussion about starting a ICP cache at Keven Moran park.
- El Quito park would like to establish similar cache
- Discussion about deciding what constitutes an ‘ICP in a box’ and then get it in for budgeting over next year or two.
- Need to re-stock a few consumable items for new graduates before mid-May (green t-shirts, backpacks, etc)
- Discussed the need for a Logistics Deputy to give coverage for someone out of town…or…to cover opening two bases concurrently.
- Discussed who can drive the trailer.
- Should be city staff and city vehicles in most cases
- In an emergency, with proper direction, a CERT member with proper towing capability can tow the trailer. Ball and hitch is available in the trailer.
- Shelter Fundamentals was held last month. Thanks to those who attended.
- A few CERT members should consider stepping up to get the Shelter Supervisor credentials from ARC
- ARC will hold a shelter simulation likely on 6/22 (9:00 AM – 1:00 PM) and hopefully 12 to 15 CERT members whom have completed the Shelter Fundamentals classroom training.
- The American Red Cross Shelter Simulation exercise for Saratoga CERT will be scheduled for Saturday, 22 June 2019 (9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.) with Jim Mollerus, the ARC Silicon Valley Chapter Mass Care Coordinator. The desired number of Saratoga CERT participants is between 12 to 15, all of which have attended the ARC Shelter Fundamentals classroom training. Of this total, it is further requested that four Saratoga CERT members have volunteered to take the additional training curriculum to become credentialed Shelter Supervisors.
- If you missed the 25 February 2019 Shelter Fundamentals training class in the City of Saratoga Pisani training portable, it is still possible to attend two other training classes being conducted outside of Saratoga. These are: (a) Saturday, 06 April 2019, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the City of Los Altos Grant Park Community Center, classroom #1 (1575 Holt Avenue; Los Altos, CA 94024). (b) Saturday, 11 May 2019, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Los Gatos Jewish Community Center (14855 Oka Road, Los Gatos, CA 95032).Please contact Chuck Rader at e-mail address email@example.com if you desire to attend. He will forward the contact information for signing up for the classes.
- Stop The Bleed:
- Thursday, 4/25 5:30 until 7:00: 8 seats available
- Thursday, 4/25 7:10 – 8:40: 15 seats available
- If seats are not filled and we get closer to the event, it will be opened up to NW groups, then possibly to NextDoor. We really need to fill all the seats.
- Someone asked if city will provide tourniquets, clotting gauze, etc. Michael Taylor would prefer participants to obtain those materials themselves.
- Details from Charles: Stop the Bleed classroom training: Two sessions to be held on Thursday, 25 April 2019 Currently, for the 5:30 p.m. training session: 12 seats of 20 total have been reserved. Eight seats remain to be filled. Currently, for the 7:10 p.m. training session: 5 seats of 20 total have been reserved. Fifteen seats remain to be filled.Please ensure all Saratoga CERT members are made aware of this excellent training. Chuck Rader will make any seats not reserved by 05 April available to (1) Saratoga Neighborhood Watch leads, and (2) to the general Saratoga community through the Nextdoor website.
- The City of Campbell Hamann Park CERT Division will be holding a six-hour long full-deployment field training exercise on Saturday, 01 June 2019, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The rally point for the exercise will be in the southwest corner of the City of San Jose Marijane Hamann Park (just to the south of the tennis courts, off Almarida Drive). Street address for the park: 2747 Westfield Avenue; San Jose, CA 95128). Saratoga CERT has been invited to participate in the exercise either as observers, integral members of the Hamann Park CERT field assessment teams, or as role players. This is an excellent opportunity to participate in an exercise conducted by a CERT organization with a long history of conducting comprehensive, well-planned exercises. Initial exercise planning calls for the establishment of a divisional CERT Incident Command Post, a CERT field medical treatment site, and the deployment of a large number of post-disaster neighborhood assessment teams. If you are interested in participating, please contact Chuck Rader at e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org.
West Valley Division
- Jessica showed off maps that the GIS specialist within the city has provided. Jessica to ask if street numbers can be added to the parcels. Then will get printed and laminated.
- Jessica discussed that we still need two to four more folks to
help man the table at the Blossom Festival on 4/13. Michael has an eventBrite link for
registering to help.
- To register for the 4/13 9:30 AM – 1:00 PM shift: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cert-table-at-blossom-festival-2019-shift-930am-to-100pm-tickets-58874624587?aff=ebdssbdestsearch
- To register for the 4/13 1:00 PM – 4:30 PM shift: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cert-table-at-blossom-festival-100pm-to-430pm-shift-tickets-58874996700?aff=ebdssbdestsearch
- Looks like Jeff P. not able to assist in co-leading this Division.
- Davina interested in getting another to assist in the running of this division.
- CERT & NW discussed at each monthly resident’s meeting
- They have a mini-cache of supplies in this division
- They will help communicate the upcoming academy to the residents
- They are also trying to bootstrap their NW program.
Upcoming SCCFD trainings:
- Disaster Psychology Refresher:
- Saratoga Prospect Center
- Grace Building
- 4/11 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
- An American Red Cross Disaster Psychology specialist will present their materials
- Registration link: https://cert_refresher_psych.eventbrite.com
- Tuesday and Thursdays 4/30, 5/2, 5/7, 5/9, 5/14, 5/16, and a graduation on Sunday (NOT Saturday) 5/19
- Registration link: https://saratogacert2019.eventbrite.com
- Jeff will share with Michael the need for Saratoga CERT participation on various evenings and especially on the Graduation exercise. Saratoga CERT really needs to help make the graduation exercise a success. We’ll need one or two radio communication folks, and an additional 4 or 5 to pair up with firefighters at the various skills stations. We are all skilled and qualified to take on these roles, so, please step up and help out. Look for an Eventbrite to be created to register to assist.
- Heard more than once that we need to share more of our content via the saratogacert.org website.
- We need to publish all activities on the website calendar.
- If you need credentials to author documents, blogposts, or calendar entries, please contact Brent for access.
- If you have a need for more native FTP access, please contact Jeff.
Meeting adjourned 19:03