We just held what will likely be the “First Annual SARA/CERT Family Picnic”. The venue was great, the food was yummy, the weather was pleasant, the activities were interesting and folks seemed to have a good time.
We want to recognize those that performed significant tasks in preparation for the event or at the picnic to make sure things went smoothly and everybody had a good time.
Though the “Above and Beyond the Call of Duty” list is at the bottom, they are the picnic heroes to me. Make sure you read to the end and forgive me if I missed anyone.
What: SARA/CERT Family Picnic
Santa Clara County 3Q2019 Emergency Drill for City of Saratoga
Who: Saratoga Area hams, their families and friends
Saratoga Area CERTs, their families and friends
Date: Saturday, August 17, 2019
Time: 12:00 noon – 4:00 pm
Venue: Warner-Hutton House (next to City Hall), 13777 Fruitvale Avenue, Saratoga, CA 95070
Price: Adults – $5.00, Kids 18 and under – Free
- Warner Hutton House
- Saratoga Emergency Operations Center (EOC)
- CERT Emergency Trailer – portable emergency warehouse
- CERT CorpYard Base – 40’ Container – fixed emergency warehouse
- SARA K6SA 2 meter repeater in the City Yard
- 2m mobile rig – Peter
- 2m mobile rig – Jeff
- HF rig – Morris
County Drill: Twenty (20) ham attendees checked into the Resource Travel Net as they were ready to depart home for the event.
- Travel was tracked and, as appropriate, Health and Welfare checks were conducted in route.
- Participants also checked into the Travel Net when they arrived at the site. Data was recorded.
- After arrival, 12 hams performed and documented a simulated emergency task on site. Data was recorded.
- Drill will be reported to Santa Clara County to fulfill Saratoga’s 3Q requirement for a quarterly drill.
Food: Hamburgers, turkey burgers, veggie burgers, cheese slices and buns, Hot dogs and buns, Mustard, catsup, relish, Tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, Assorted bags of chips, Potato salad, 8 different topping large pizzas, Appetizer trays, Cookies, Soft drinks, water, ice
- Quaint 1890’s Queen Anne style house
- Air conditioned
- Modernized kitchen with fridge/freezer, stove, microwave, generous counter space, convenient serving area
- Dining room with large table and chairs
- Multiple indoor restrooms
- Surrounded by mature shade trees
- Large grassy back lawn and patio
- Outside tables and benches for dining
- Gazebo was used as an outdoor ham shack
- Electrical outlets for AC power
- Nearby free parking
- 56 adults total
- 30 ham only & family
- 15 CERT only & Family
- 11 ham/CERT combo & family
Reservations: 58 RSVP’s prior to event
56 actual attendees . . . most RSVPs showed up. Had a few walk-ins
Above & Beyond the Call of Duty
- Peter Net Control for the Resource Travel Net County drill, set up 2 meter mobile demo, purchased food
- Jeff Net Control for the onsite Event Net, trailered his barbecue to the site and provided cooking tools and propane
- Morris Set up HF mobile demo with low power (QRP) rig, listened to contact in Hawaii and spoke to contacts in other states
- Brent Tour guide
- Jack Barbeque wrangler
- Rick Barbeque wrangler
- Davina Check-in Queen, brought ice chests and ice
- Paul Check-in King
- Robina Last cleanup person at WHH
- Rebecca Photos
- Jessica Food prep and photos
- Chuck Food prep
- Others Food prep and cleanup
- RJ General overseer
City of Saratoga Support
- Crystal Pizza
- Nina Facilities booking and support
- Thomas Facilities manager
- Matt Facilities onsite support
Thanks to everybody for attending and a special thank you to folks that spent some of their picnic time serving others.
See ya’ next year . . . probably before.
Ron Jones, AJ6EG
14355 D Saratoga Avenue | Saratoga, CA 95070
408 872-1301 land | 408 316-0854 cell